Just a few days back we posted a blog, ‘The Next Big Google Algorithm Update For Mobile’. As per the update, Google stated that it will be considering the mobile friendliness as a factor for determining the rank of website. In our today’s post, we will be discussing what website owners should expect from this update and how to make their websites mobile-friendly.
As per the stats, more than 1.5 billion mobile Internet users have access to smart phones. Well these stats are enough to encourage one to benefit from the mobile search trend. In case, you are still not focusing upon the same then Google’s recent announcement for mobile search update must have awakened you.
If we look in to the changes that this effect will have upon mobile SERPs, there is a lot on the cards. Even the Google developers have stated that there would be a drastic affect over the search results after this update goes live. Even before the update was announced, Google hinted the websites that they shall be considering the mobile users as well. However, the websites owners did not bothered much about mobile optimization at that time. Website owners who earlier did not considered the mobile-ready websites should now work hard to ensure that the mobile rankings remain on the right track. Businesses that have been garnering hefty income from internet searches will have to work upon mobile optimization to avoid any drop in the monthly income.
Google has taken a smart approach by announcing the update early so that the websites get sufficient time to prepare for the update. You as the owner has to keep in mind the fact that the end goal of search engine is to offer users with the data they have been looking for. In case, your website successfully delivers the information that the customers have been searching for, then you can expect to rank well. Google wants to make sure that the websites manage to deliver an optimal experience to the users despite the device from which they are making the search.
Lately, Google will be having a look at all these elements to check the mobile friendliness factor:
- Are the fonts getting scaled as per the screen size over varied screen sizes
- Are the touch elements like buttons, easy to use and have been spaced rightly and away from the touch elements
- The website that have distinct mobile URLs, must make sure that the mobile users are redirecting from respective desktop URL to appropriate mobile URL
- Google would be looking if you are avoiding use of irrelevant cross-links. Cross linking is when the users are linked to pages optimized for desktop pages from the mobile site and vice versa
- Google will be keeping a quick eye upon the mobile pages with slow load time
Quick tips for making the website Mobile-Friendly:
- Review the website for mobile friendliness
- Thoroughly analyze the mobile share of the total income you make. Compare the same with the competitive sites and see where you stand.
- Take the update as a warning and start following all those practices that Google has been asking you to follow.
- Look for the keyword trends and track the changes. Keep a note of the mobile rankings over varied devices such as desktop, mobile and tablet.
- Keep tracking the mobile ranking and search results at a page level.
- For availing local and global results, keep an eye upon all the keyword trends and the rankings you have achieved from varied device types.
In case, you are looking for some tools that could help you in testing your website for its performance on mobile devices then why not rely upon the two main tools that Google offers. These ate Mobile Usability Report and Mobile-Friendly Test. While the former is available in the Google Webmaster Tools, the latter could be run specifically upon a page URL. You can use these tools to know how mobile friendly is your website.